quarta-feira, 15 de junho de 2011

GO FISHING

To my pals from /x/, specially Dutch, please enjoy it, and if you can, follow me on twitter, and you will know when i publish new tales...@atariownersgen

GO FISHING.



Hello, my name is Sam “Dutch”, and I usually go with my friends Jeff, Bradley and Cole in those “midnight fishing weekends”, when we would drink a couple beers and fish in a small motor boat, the “Grubby Cock”-the name keep our wives away- in a lake near our houses. The fishing was always good and the chat even better. The lake, covered in mist, always made a good excuse to tell ghost stories and the likes of it. There four of us, most of the times, and we did it those trips once every couple of months, in summer mostly.

During the day, the lake was crowded with families and kids in enjoying the clear waters, but one year ago something happened and scared everyone from there. A couple of small children, a boy named Jessy, six years old, and a girl, Samantha, 8. Brother and sister, disappeared to never be seen again. The mother told they went together in a calm spot of the lake, when they started playing around and, in a moment of distraction, both fall in the water. The mother said she tried to save them, but she couldn’t swim.

But something wasn’t quite right. Before the death, witness told the woman climbed in the boat carrying two big black plastic garbage bags, full with something, and then returned without the mysterious cargo. No one had seen the children that day, or the day before it.

Further investigation show that the room had signs of blood and struggle, especially in the bath tub, and two months earlier the mother’s boy friend had signed a life insurance in the name of both children. With little effort the boyfriend confess everything and it turn out that the mother had killed her child, planning to use the money to pay drug debts. The bodies were never found, and everyone avoided the lake for a good time.

I and my friends only heard about it in the newspapers, and we decided not let it ruin a long fishing tradition.

We packed everything, baits, food and of course beers in our little 4 person boat and we went to our “secret place”, an excellent fishing spot we used for years. Even doing that monthly, this time we had some trouble with the mist. It was unusually thick, as the air get more and more cold.

-Damn, thank god I brought my leather jacket- I said, trying to relax and put away that strange feeling I had since the moment I stepped in the boat.

-Yeah, global warming my ass…I’m freezing here- Said one of my friends. We all laugh and things looked normal again. We started our fishing and inevitable our chat went to our favorite subject, ghost stories.

A bit drunk, and still concerned with that children murder, like everyone in town, I brought the subject I the talk, what later prove to be a bad call.

-Say, what you think about that crazy mother? The one who killed her two children?

-Jesus Dutch, why you had to remember me of that? Give me the chills!

-Yeah, in me too, I mean, her own son and daughter, gotta be some crazy mother, that woman.

-I blame it to the drugs. She and her boyfriend were two junkies, crack users I’m sure!

-Yeah…poor kids, they deserved better. I heard they were never found.

We went silent for some time, when one of my friends,Jeff, the one who loved the supernatural more than the rest of us, whispered:

-Hey, I had an idea…Do you know the “Ouija board”?

Oh yes I knew, my mom told me to never play that shit, and she meant it. She actually said that she would let me slip with stealing my dad car on the weekends; smoking cigars on my room, and buying marijuana, but only if I promised never play that devilish game. She actually said it in front of my DAD, that was how serious she was about it.

I didn’t want to chicken out in front of my pals, so I decided to change the subject:

-Ouija board? Oh c’mmon Jeff! That’s for girl’s slumber parties! And the board? Don’t tell me you go fish with an Ouija board in your backpack!

We all laughed, but Jeff was adamant.

-We don’t need one, we could ask questions and they would reply knocking in the wood!

I tried telling them to cut that, but damn, everyone was in the mood to do it, and I ended joining them.

My friend started:

-Okay, let’s give hands…

-Hey, cut that, this is not “broke back mountain”, we actually FISH here!-said Brad.

We laugh but we agreed in doing like he said. With a solemn tone he started:

-Oh spirits of the river…we call you…join us in this cold night…share you wisdom with us…

-And some beer, I could use some- I said trying to stop that, In respect to my mother instructions…But after some laugh he continued:

-Oh spirits who wander on those waters, we call you to answer our questions with honesty, knocking one time on the wood for “yes” – and he hit the bottom of the boat with his feet once- and two times for “no”!

I was with the hair of the back of my neck up, and noticing it one of my pals, Cole, decided to mock me about it:

-Hey spirits! Is our pal “Dutch” scared?- And he hit the bottom of the boat once. The other did the same and everyone laugh: “yes”, ”yes”, “yes” and “yes”. Was when I noticed, 3 guys hit the floor one time, but we got four knocks.

-Someone said “no”.

-What? I said yes-Spoke Cole.

-Me too Dutch, you are scared like a girl!-Teased Bradley.

-Yeah, I said “yes” too, sorry but is true Dutch!-Smiled Jeff

-I heard four knocks, not three, and I DIDN’T knocked in the wood!

They laughed at me.

-Ah Dutch, relax, we were just teasing you! See, let’s ask the spirits again, then you will see that there are no such things as ghosts. Spirits, are any ghost here with us?

And they all stood silent for almost a minute, before bursting in laughs at my expense, once no knock sounded. But once they stop laughing, we all heard a knock, loud and clear.

“yes”.

This time we all stood quiet.

-Dutch, cut that, isn’t funny anymore.

-Fuck Cole, I did nothing, not this time, and not the last time!

-Easy guys, probably was just a branch under water…

Another minute passed in silence.

-Maybe we should try asking another question…

-No way, stop messing with that Jeff, damn it!

But they keep on the subject until Jeff spoke seriously:

-Lets ask if there are anyone here.

-Oh sure! Freaking brilliant Jeff!- I snapped at him, angry- SPIRITS, ARE YOU THERE?

That wasn’t meant to be a formal question, but them we heard it, once again, a knock on the bottom of the boat.

“yes”.

I froze, like a soldier who realized that he just stepped on a landmine.

-What was that?!-Screamed Cole.

I was quite scared, so I decided to call it the day and go back.

-Guys, I think we already drink too much; we should go back now…

Everyone agreed, but when I tried to start the engine it won’t work.

-Great, now we are stuck here! “lets talk with spirits”, nice one man!

-Hey stop Dutch, I was just joking, right? And it’s not like a ghost sabotaged our engine!

But I was mad and I keep talking:

-So let’s ask the spirits! Spirits, are you holding us here!?

Once again it wasn’t meant to be serious, but a hard knock hit the bottom of the boat, this time hard enough to shake it.

“yes”.

No one would talk, and we barely breathed, but Bradley decided to try again.

-Spirts, are you holding us here?

A loud know sounded, coming from the bottom of the “Grubby Cock”.

“yes”.

We screamed and I start trying to get the engine to work again, with out success. Bradley and Cole start looking for paddles, but Jeff was silent. Undisturbed by our mess, he spoke.

-Spirits, how many are you? If possible knock the number to us.

Two knocks.

-Jessy is here?

“yes”.

The blood disappeared from our faces as we stared at the bottom of the boat.

-Jesus Jeff, stop making questions!

But Jeff didn’t listened to Bradley.

-Samantha is here?

“yes”.

I started shacking. Cole and Bradley looked very scared, but Jeff, the bastard, looked more curious than anything else.

-Jeff, don’t play with what you don’t understand damn it!

But Jeff didn’t listened.

-Are you the children who disappeared last summer?

“yes”.

Cole, normally a calm person, jumped over Jeff and both almost made the boat capsize.

-Jeff, you stop now! It’s not fun anymore!

-It’s not meant to be fun! –Snapped Jeff almost punching Cole.

-You two, calm down before you turn the Grabby!-Ordered Bradley in vain. Jeff resumed his interrogatory:

-You died by accident?

Two strong knocks resounded in the misty night.

“no”.

-You were murdered?

“yes”.

In the lake?

“no”.

This time I was the one a lose my temper. I tried to punch Jeff, but I tripped and like Bradley predicted, we capsized the Grubby and we all dived in the dark cold waters. I desperately tried to swim to the surface, when something grabbed my foot . I turned to face it, thinking it was jeff, when I saw the spectral vision of two small skeletons, holding my feet with both hands.

I panic, I screamed, losing all my breath. The darkness involved me while the moon light shined upon the two dead children. And as I fainted I could hear:

“Don’t leave us alone.”





I don’t know how long I was in he water, but I know I own my life to Bradley, the quiet guy. Everyone should have a friend like that, no talk just action. He save my life in the nick of time, at least was what the paramedics told me. The sun was rising when they put me on the ambulance. Worried I look for the others, and I saw them, talking to the cops, but not harmed.

More calm I laid back and said, almost whispering:

-what fishing night…Sure I got more than I was expecting for.

The paramedic, a gorgeous woman, seem to agree:

-Oh yes, I can understand. No one would like to fish what you did. But look at the good side, at least they are getting a proper funeral…

I fished? A funeral? She probably saw how puzzled I was and looking in my eyes she said.

-Jessy and Samantha, you found them. Your boat got stuck in the same tree where the mother hide the bodies.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário