domingo, 14 de agosto de 2011

"I BELIVE IN" new chapter

"I BELIVE IN": a new chapter of this light hearted story about light hearted things, that just happens to have a name thats resemble a over used political add.
*

A week went by, John and Lizzie kept contact, but didn’t actually went out, John as usual had something job related to do, what was a downer to Liz, once she didn’t had much friends to hang out with. But she was a different person, or so she would say to herself everyday, and she would not let something like that broke her into depression again, so she did a very reasonable thing, picked her old phone book, and looked for old friends. She didn’t had many male friends, but it didn’t bothered, she wasn’t much in the mood of calling guys and ask them out, but she did found a couple phone numbers from good girlfriends she had in college. She tried all numbers, but none worked, until she got to the last number, Sally.

-Wow! Sally! Don’t see her in ages! She was a super hype girl, and still hang out with me… Let’s try…

A familiar voice pick up the phone:

-Hello?

Lizzie dint quite knew what to say, so she stuttered something:

-Uh, hi, is it Sally?

-… Yes. Who is asking?

-Hm, you may not remember e, we went to college together…

-NO SHIT! LIZ IS THAT YOU!?

Lizzie literally jumped and almost dropped the phone.

-How did you know?!

-HA! I remember your voice Lizzie! We used to talk on the phone everyday! Oh my god…! I´ve been looking you for ages, since we finished college and you moved!

Lizzie Blushed, to be remembered for someone she used to envy and ye be welcomed warmly like that was a great experience, Liz had to hold her tears, she wont cry over the phone and make a fool of herself… again.

-Sorry! I simply lost contact too, I was looking for some old friends, when I found you phone…

 A jovial laugh burst through the phone:

-Let’s thank god for those spring cleanings, right? Oh, damn I can’t believe, I’m so happy!! Lizzie! How have you been?

-I’ve… had some problems last year, nothing too serious, now I just have a lot of free time… And you, still runs? I remember you loved to compete!

-Hahaha, oh girl, how can I say it… Well I got used to kept sit since college, so now I run on wheels not on sneakers! Hahahahaha! You gotta see my wheels, it’s a Hot rod!

-Haha! I bet it is, lemme guess, is a red car right? You always wanted one!

-Lizzie! You got it right, its a red sport coupe, trust me when I say, I stay on that beauty night and day. Hey Lizzie, lets meet!

-Sure! I would love it!

-Ok, how is you agenda today?

Lizzie gasped, she didn’t had anything to do in the whole day, but still she was too insecure to just go out and meet a old friend like that, but Sally didn’t left her much choice.

-I…

-Oh, I know that “I”; Girl, my afternoon is free, lets meet at the Crystal Mall and make some gossip! Three n the afternoon, at the JaVa Coffee Shop! And I wont take a NO as an answer!

Liz was shinning with happiness.

-Sure! Then I see you soon!

Both said good bye and Lizzie felt very happy with that. So happy she decided to kill two birds with one stone, printed a couple resumes and decided to go around after job till three o’clock.

Shortly after she was on her way to look for some new opportunities; as she walked from home a cat and a dog watched her from across the street, and whispered:

-Fine, here we are. So how we help her with a job?

-Don’t ask me dog, I wanted to go solve “love”…

-Don’t be mean Miza. Let’s tag along and see how she do thing on her own.

Both animals become transparent, then invisible, and carefully follow after Lizzie.

Lizzie first stop was at city’s job agency, not much to see there, plenty of unhappy faces looking for jobs. She got in a line and after an hour managed to submit her resume to their data base.

-Wow, it took longer than I expected…

She took a quick look at her list of places to visit, and decided to go first to the most interesting one. A couple meters behind her, a man tripped in some invisible obstacle, and a feminine voice from nowhere told him to pay attention to where he was heading.

But Lizzie didn’t even noticed it, she was busy checking the bus schedule.

-Damn I should really think about getting a scooter… Oh no, my bus I can’t lose it! Hey please wait!

But the bus driver didn’t even bothered in looking at the girl. Somewhere behind Lizzie the sound of a hiss and a angry girl’s voice come from nowhere.

-Oh you damn bus driver… wouldn’t KILL you to wait a second…! Maybe you forgot which pedal the BREAK is…

And inside the bus, the brake pedal was stepped all the way down, stopping the bus suddenly, what truly irritate the passengers:

-Hey guy! Be more careful! We aren’t cattle!

-But…I did nothing this thing…

He looked everywhere to see what could possible be wrong, just to see the “open door” button pressing itself on.

-Wh…Wha?

Lizzie didn’t see it, she just saw the bus stopping and opening the doors, she dashed in:

-Thank you so much for waiting! I’m sorry for causing trouble!

-Wha…what? No… everything is fine, just fine…

The bus driver shook his head, checked the pedals and move on, as Lizzie sat herself close to the window. Behind her a old lady jumped and look around her feet… She could swear she felt something fluffy rubbing around her ankles.

Took a while, but Liz found the address, a company John indicate.

-John said to leave a resume on the reception and say he sent me…

-Hello –A chubby, lovely blonde woman, elegantly dressed welcome her at reception –Welcome to Dynamic South Software, what I can do for you?

-…Huh… John Sawyer told me to left a resume with you… about some job as programmer or designer… or tech support…

She handed the resume, but the blonde woman took ignore it, got up, gave her a big hug and said with a jovial tone:

-You are Johnny friend, Eliza! He told me you would come around, eventually! I was almost losing my faith, but here you are! Oh I shouldn’t doubt of Johnny! Quick come!

And she lead the girl to a door and pointed a office:

-Go straight to the end of the corridor, third door to the left! Just knock and get in! I will let her know you are here.

-But… my resume…

-Oh silly, take it with you, I’m sure they will love to give a look at it!

The woman turn her back and return to her desk, before sitting back at the front desk, she feels something like a warm draft passing through her legs.

-Hey… Where are my cookies?

She looks around and sees nothing.

-Oh those interns, I told them, if they want some just have to ask… no need to wait for me to turn my back before picking some sweets, aw…

 Muffled by the sound of the busy office, two voices whisper softly:

-Oh boy, you cant stop eating Kev?

-Can’t help if tagging people make me hungry…

Lizzie feel uneasy, as she was under watch, but still, she decided to move on and see what John found to her.

-Excuse me…

A girl with big green eyes and short black hair, dressed in an elegant but tom-boyish business suit welcome her with a smile and point her a seat.

-Marjorie told me you actually came, I was almost loosing my faith you know. My name is Lorraine, nice to  finally meet you, Eliza right?

-So…sorry, where you all waiting me?

The beautiful tomboy executive look at Lizzie with surprise, then with a smile:


-Well, John told me 100% sure that he arranged to you to come and look at our position on tech support, a couple weeks ago. But no surprises, look like Johnny forgot to tie some loose ends, like warning you about it. Oh that’s typical of him.

Lizzie couldn’t help but smile, John was like that, more action but too little talk… Still she felt strange, even uncomfortable with the intimate relationship between John and all those people.

-hmm yes, he told me just to come around and give you a copy of my resume…

-Oh? Well to me he spoke almost like you were already employed here! See, the company suddenly got too big to our people to handle, and Johnny told me you could take care of our new, expanded tech support… Can you?

-Sure…Sure! I have plenty experience in tech support…

-Hmm you know what service we supply here?

She gasped, she forgot that…

-Hmmm software developing…

-For…?

That was bad… John arranged everything and she simple fucked it up. Suddenly she felt like words were whispered deep down her mind.

- Dynamic South Software develop Business Management Software’s for small and medium companies, and also offer tech support with servers and internal networks. Also had three following years of continuous growth in local market, now providing services to almost 40% to the small and medium companies in this city.

Wow, from where THAT come from? She was wondering why and how she said all that, but Lorraine laugh and sit back with a satisfied look.

-Yep! Just like says on our press-release! Good to see you did your home work! Eliza, can I be brutally honest with you?

-… Yes.

- I’m having trouble with my company right now. Too much people to handle, and few people to coordinate. Me and other two guys are all administrative personnel I have, and to be honest, we are still trying to fit in those big shoes we got in the last years. I do need people on tech, really. I have twelve technicians, only two with experience, everyone else is fresh out of college, and most of them are not really into hard work and low payment. And that’s all I can give right now, because until we finish restructuring, we can’t pay what I think it would be fair for the burden they are handling. John is a close friend, and he told me to wait for you, but to be honest, I can’t simply hire you on personal feelings. This company here is my life, and I rather lose a friend than losing my company.

-I see, John put you in a hard situation…. I … I will talk to him and make things clear… -Lizzie felt horrible, like a beggar or a party crasher, but Lorraine interrupted her.

-nice of you, but fact is that John gave me a copy of your resume a couple weeks ago. He told me you really need a job, still, you wait for what, ten days, before showing off. And he told me you had some rough times, no details, but then, it’s not my business. Bottom line is I need someone to make people work harder on tech, and also to do a fair part of the job herself. I need someone to be a boss and a technician, and if you don’t have the balls to do it… then I can’t have you.

Well, that was unexpectedly rude and honest, now her heart was on her throat: What she should do? What she should say? Lorraine kept her eyes on her, cold as steel, waiting for an answer, anything.

But she didn’t had anything to give back as an answer.

- I see Eliza…

-I can do it.

Lorraine look at her, once again surprised:

-So I will schedule to you meet the team in the next days. Still, can’t say its definitive, or anything.

-I understand, but I will make it become definitive, trust me!

The look on both women changed, one, Lizzie, was stronger, more confident. The other Lorraine, was enigmatic and puzzled at the same time, but with an unconditional satisfaction.

After Lizzie left, Lorraine stood at the window. She saw Lizzie walking away, strong, decided.

-First impressions can be misleading…

She looked at the pictures on her cell phone: In one she was hugging a man, both eloped in a lover’s embrace, so happy, so free of worries. It dated from a month ago.

-Johnny, I guess I acted like a bitch to your friend, when I see some indecision in her eyes, some weakness… But it was because I wanted to make sure she was up to the job? Or was because I am jealous of your friend? I am not a jealous girl, I’m not a bitch who want to break little girls, still why I wanted so much to see her break and run away?
She took a deep breath and said to herself:

-Life was easier when I only had to worry about my company… John, what’s up between you and that girl?

*

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário