sexta-feira, 8 de julho de 2011

10 METERS

10 Meters.


I was a member of a research crew, working on 3d mapping of the bottom of the ocean, right over the well know Bermuda triangle. Our job was to drag specialized sonars over a area from the size of Manhattan, and very deep. We worked night and day, and I unfortunately had to do night shifts like everyone else.


The job was simple as boring, once it collected raw data and not the images most people see on TV, once it was a new model, capable to use ultra-high sound waves to scan the bottom and underneath it. I was reading a comic book, and only looking at the screens every two or three minutes. At 3:00 AM, I read the sensors, depth: 1250 meters, all normal.

But at 4:30 AM the entire boat shook, and I, like many others, were thrown in the floor like dolls. In Bermuda triangle is supposed to exist sudden giant waves out from no where, who could sink any ship in seconds. As I get up confused, the sailors took control of the ship.

No one cared about me and the sonar readings, once we all were afraid of being sunk there, in the most mysterious waters of Earth. With my wrist hurting like hell I slowly climbed my console and saw the  crew running and screaming orders. But then, they suddenly stop. An absolute silence, broke only by the inhuman alarms set foot on the bridge. They were all frozen, looking in my direction, mouths open in disbelief, and faces pale in fear. I started to shiver, what I could possible done to cause such reaction?

But one pointed to someplace else, over my shoulder and talked, almost a whisper:

-What in God’s name is that?!?

I suddenly turned around, but I saw nothing but a wave, bursting through the bridge’s windows, flooding the room and dragging many men, to where I don’t know. I felt my shoulder hitting something that I supposed to be a table, and screamed.
I don’t know if I fainted or not, but I tried to get up, very dizzy, only one man was still there, dead, all the others fled. I could listen to screams outside, and I see with terror that was no boat left to me to use. Some sailors and researchers jumped in the brutal ocean, who crushed men and life boats alike.

I simple didn’t knew what was going on. Think clearly was too hard, I used my good hand to wipe something of my face, when I noticed my head was bleeding. I saw the radio, and crawled to it. The boat shook again and again, in a endless torture, hurting my almost broken body more and more. Finally I reach the radio and called for help.
I got up on my feet, trembling, to look at our GPS coordinates, when I saw something impossible: Two mountains, equal in shape, each one shaped like a needle and completely black slowly raised from the depths in front of us. I thought I was seen things.
I couldn’t be!

I look around and see other four mountains, or towers, two at our side, and two behind our ship. We were in the middle of some uncanny volcanic or tectonic phenomena of some kind. Something never seen before.

I sprinted to get my cam, it was destroyed. My mind raced, I had to document this colossal event some how! Then I remember, I was already doing it, the sonars were online.

The water proof system was gathering an absurd quantity of data from such event. I couldn’t think in those who had died, not in that moment. I cursed the fact I couldn’t see the images from it. But I still had the normal sensors of the boat. Once again I crawled to the ship’s sonar and I could read something even more dazzling.

The bottom of the ocean had emerged. It simple had emerged, from more than 4.000 feet, to 32. Ten mere meters, all that separated us from the bottom.

The terrain was rugged and I couldn’t see the end of it.

I was in shock, and I don’t know for how long I was there, frozen over the sonar, but one thing brought me back to the unforgiving reality: An island of pure black stone started to rise in front of  our ship, something like polish stone, or a dome of pure black velvet raised , challenging those first rays of sun light. It was Huge, no word to describe how big that was. I wondered if I had found the lost Atlantis, or worst if Atlantis had found me.

Suddenly a deep roaring sound, to loud, like a thunder that never stop resonating came from all directions.
I decided to put my life jacket, and jump out of the ship with the data. Maybe I could survive.

But fate had other plans to me: Before I could gather courage to thrown myself in the vicious ocean bellow me, the dome rotated and a structure of an absurd design appeared. I am a man who know the oceans, and it’s animals.
And what I saw was a perfect replica of the head of a sea turtle, in every small detail. The rugged skin, the round eye, the beak, the statue of a colossal turtle head, and its eye, so real, was aiming at me.

And then it blinked. I saw the nictitating membrane, so large it could cover a stadium blinking over eyes taller than a skyscraper, looking at me with no emotion, just dead calm and disinterest. I realized, I was nothing, in the same way people ignore the life of bugs and small plants while walking around, such titan ignored our existence, or should I say, it refused to acknowledge it
The beak opened again, and a roaring sound ten times louder hit me like a truck. I felt again, hands on my ears, trying to remain sane, praying to God to have mercy on my soul and kill me fast.

A wave crashed, and another, and so on, each new one bigger than the last. Soon I was thrown in the sea. I saw nothing. Thank god I saw nothing more.

I remember the sun burning my face, and coast guard taking me to and hospital by helicopter. They said I was in water for two days.
The ship and the men it carried were disappeared.  I told them about the turtle, I did, but they said I was hallucinating because of the sun. My last shot was the sonar data, but they told me I had brought nothing with me.

I probably let it go when I was thrown at the sea.
No need to say I was considered a lunatic, a mad man, and worst, one more strange crazy man talking about crazy things in the tabloids, another man with a Bermuda triangle tale to tell, for a dollar.

Fin.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário